Sign up for our Newsletter
home Vacation Guide


The red brick lighthouse was constructed in 1849 on the north side of Fishers Island and has been helmed by colorful characters through the years. Its keeper was accused of signaling to liquor smugglers during Prohibition. In 1896, the inventor of Segway purchased the property, dubbing it the sovereign “Kingdom of North Dumpling,” according to the East End Seaport Museum.